KIDS HEALTHY-FOOD RECIPES
Whether you have a teenager or a toddler feeding children is one of the most satisfying things, however, it can also be one of the most stressful parts of parenting. It is not uncommon to have embroiled in a fearsome stand-off at mealtime. However, it has been recommended that children need to take two snacks of 100 calories or less per day in order to tackle spiraling obesity rates. Kids Healthy Food Recipes is a great way of making delicious and appetizing meals for your lovely children.
Are All Calories Bad?
It is important to have a closer look at calories in the food your children take, however, calories are not bad for your child. This is because your body needs calories for energy but if you take them too much and not burning them enough it can lead to weight gain. Hence, are all calories bad, the answer is no but how much you take and burn matters.
Many drinks and foods contain calories such as lettuce, peanuts etc. You can know how much calories are in your food by looking at the nutrition facts label. The label is very useful as it also contains the components of the food, that is how much protein, fat, and carbohydrates it contains. As an example: a number of calories are in a 1 gram of each; fat, protein, and carbohydrates:
Fat 9 calories
Protein 4 calories
Carbohydrate 4 calories
Milk Chocolate 580 Cal
Dark Chocolate 610 cal
Bottle of Beer 220 cal
White Wine 104 cal
Bottle of water 0 cal
Flavored water 100 cal
This then means that if you know how many calories are in each food you can work out a total number of calories you are taking.
Here are some of the snacks an ideal that may help you keep your children healthy, happy and feel full for a longer time.
- Sliced apple and dunked in peanut butter
- A cup of berries—can be raspberries, strawberries, blueberries
- Homemade popcorn
- Oatmeal cookie
- Two kiwis
How many Calories Do Kids need?
As kids come with different sizes they require different amounts of calories, each person’s body burns calories (energy) at various rates hence there is no one perfect number of calories that a child should eat. Having said that, however, there is a recommended range to some kids in other parts of the world that it is recommended for kids to have 1,600 to 2,200 per day.
Overweight kids may make sure that they don’t eat too many calories (you have to know that it is only the doctor/GP who can say if you are overweight). This means that if you are concerned about the weight of your child see the Doctor/GP. Do not go on a diet without visiting your doctor.
When you take in calories more than what your body needs, the leftovers calories are converted to fat. If you accumulate too much fat it may lead to many health problems. Letting your children do exercise and playing is very important for the body of your children burn calories and keep fit. However, watching TV and playing games on the computer or on a Tv is not good for burning calories. When a child watches tv or plays games he/she burns 1 calorie per minutes the same as sleeping.
It is also important to remember that you don’t need to burn all calories every time. Your body needs some calories just to operate-that is keeping some organs working such as keep heart beating and your lungs breathing.
How To Help Children Eat Health Meals
Hence, to avoid conflict with children here are the best strategies to improve nutrition and encourage your children to have healthy foods that contain nutrients.
- Serve a variety of snacks and foods
- Involve your kids in food process
- Try to avoid kids battles over food
- Have regular family meals
- Be a role model for eating healthy foods as parents
Why Eat Healthy Diet? kids are amazed
There are good reasons why we need to encourage our kids to eat healthy, nutritious diet. Hence ensuring that they get the right minerals and vitamins in the food they take that will help them grow and develop optimally using different strategies that work for your children is the key. The healthy and balanced food will also help your children to be motivated, energized and more importantly supporting their learning abilities. If you start educating them the goodness of eating balanced diet it will help them as they grow old.
I recognize that despite all the benefits of giving our kids nutritious and balanced diet it can be a challenge when it comes to healthy meals for children. Studies have shown that some of the challenges are that children prefer fussy foods, Cost of healthy food and convenience.
Now we are going to look at what healthy eating for our children is all about in practice, what your children need and also how to encourage your children to have a variety of foods in their diet.
The meaning of healthy eating for children
You may agree with me that the term ‘healthy eating’ is broad and covers a wide range of areas that include a relationship with food, appropriate portion, varied diet and also following eating guide.
The food contains various nutrients such as minerals and vitamins hence, in order for our children to get all the food nutrients there is a need to have a variety of foods.
Have A Healthy Relationship with Food
When you take an initiative so that your children develop a positive attitude with eating it will help good eating in the long-run. So take an initiative to teach them about food and nutrients.
Follow Eating Guide.
Following eating guide helps you get the food that has good ingredients. The Eating Guide is a very helpful starting point.
Train your children to have a ‘me-sized plates’ other than giving them adult-sized plates as this can always encourage them to overeat.
Let us look at the food groups:
Make sure that food for your children includes at least five portions of fruit and vegetables on a daily basis. The size of the portions you give to your child depends on the age or the size of your child.
Let children have a good source of carbohydrates within the meal they take. These can be whole grain as they have more fiber and nutrients. Another advantage is that starchy foods will keep your child with slow energy release that will keep your child full and more energized.
It is more important in children as they encourage healthy bones, brain development, and growth. You can locally source food such as fish, milk, cheese from local shops etc. These foods contain all 9 essential amino acids. Some of the Plant-based foods also do provide proteins, such as beans and pulses. So it is advisable to include two portions of fish a week which can be canned, frozen or fresh? Ideally, you need two portions of fish per week.
Fruit and Vegetables
At least you need to include five portions of vegetables and fruits every day. If you want to know how much the size of the child’s palm is a better measure.
Healthy Meals for your children
It is said that good things come in small packages, indeed this is true and meal time is of no exception. Healthy meals are not only necessary for your children but they are also perfect for popping into little mouths. You will see that your children will be delighted with these bite-size meals and snacks. More importantly, each meal has low calories, full of healthy ingredients and tasty even adults like them.
As mention before with each recipe, involve the children in the kitchen so they become part of the process. This will help them love the meal while you supervise them in the kitchen. Do not let the children be alone in the kitchen, just involve them in preparing the ingredients.
How Many Calorie Does a Child Need?
According to NHS children aged 7-10 years need lots of energy and nutrients as they are still growing. The amount of energy that food contains and the drinks children take are measured in both kilocalories (kcal) and kilojoules (kJ) commonly referred to as calories.
According to the report from 2011 it was estimated that the average requirement for 7-10-year-old children a day is as follows
Years Boys Girls
10 8500Kj / 2032kcal 8100Kj / 1936kcal
9 7700Kj / 1840kcal 7200Kj / 1721kcal
8 7300kJ / 1745kcal 6800Kj / 1625kcal
7 6900kJ / 1649lcal 6400kJ / 1530kcal
These act as guides only and not specifics.
5 healthy kid-friendly meals.
When we want to eat our meal we make sure it tastes and look good. Having this in mind, a selection of best kid-friendly meals are shown below that will give your child nutritious and delicious meals with low calories.
Greek Salad with Chicken
This one of the meals that your children may like. As we all know that salads are the healthiest of all foods. If you have child/children who enjoy eating different types of salads below is the best:
The ingredients: You will need the following ingredients to prepare the salad above.
- 2 ½ cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 6 cups fresh Romanian lettuce, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar (alcohol-free)
- 1 tbsp of fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp each of salt and ground pepper
STEPS OF HOW TO PREPARE THIS SALAD
- Bowl, vinegar, garlic powder, dill, pepper and salt
- Add the lettuce, onion, sliced olives, feta cheese, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber
- Lastly, toss to mix the ingredients and coat the vegetables and serve
Time to prepare: 25 min
Nutrition: calories- 343Lcal, carbohydrates- 31g, protein -126mcg, fat -18g cholesterol
Chicken and Leak pot pie
One of the best pot pie for your children is Chicken and Leak Pot Pie. Below is a recipe that will help you prepare the meal
- 500g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 500g parsnip, peeled and diced
- 300g floury potato, peeled and diced
- 4 leeks, sliced
- 2 tbsp low-fat crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- Grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
How to Prepare?
- First, preheat oven to 3500F
- Boil parsnip and potato until tender; drain, reverse the water and mash the vegetables
- Toss pieces of chicken with corn flour
- Put olive oil in skillet and heat and salute the leek for 3 minutes till they turn brown
- Add water and chicken from the boiled parsnips and potato till they boil, while stirring
- For ten minutes skimmer and take it off heat once the chicken is tender-stir in the lemon zest, crème Fraiche and mustard.
- Divide the chicken mixture between 4 pie pans or dishes and add the potato-parsnip mash on top and spread it evenly with a fork.
- Bake until the potato topping turns crisp and golden brown or for 25 min
- Then serve while hot
PREPARATION TIME: 1 h 10min
Nutrition value: calories-314Kcal, carbohydrates-33g, protein-36g, fat-8g
When you have more vegetables and fruits in your salad the healthier it is. The multi-layered mid-Western salad does make an excellent salad for lunch.
What you need: Ingredients
- 8 cups shredded Romanian lettuce
- 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery
- ½ cup scallions
- ¾ cup low-fat, egg-less mayonnaise
- ¾ cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon each of salt, ground pepper, and garlic powder
- 1/c cup thinly sliced basil
How to make it?
- Get a bowl and add shredded lettuce, and add a layer each of peas, bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, scallions on top
- In a separate bowl, whisk vinegar, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, peppers, and sugar until the point you get a creamy mixture.
- On top of scallion, layer sprinkle the mayo mixture evenly using a spatula
- Sprinkle with basil and cheese
- Cover and refrigerate for a day
- Save chilled
Time of Preparation: 30min
Nutrition: calories-121Kcal, carbohydrates-11g, protein-5g, fat-7g, Cholesterol-13mg
Sausage and Beans Stew with mustard mash
This is easy to make and below is a recipe that will help you make the meal.
- 1kg potatoes, peeled, diced
- 16 beef chipolata sausages
- 400g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 400g can of cherry tomatoes, in tomato juice
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch dried chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
How To Make It:
- Use a saucepan and boil the potato until it becomes tender. Use another heatproof bowl and put the boiled potato and mash it. Then add milk and mustard, whisk with a wooden spoon till the point you get a creamy mixture. Then season it with salt and pepper, cover and set aside
- In another saucepan heat half the oil and add sausage. Cook, turn then every five minutes till they become brown on all sides-then move to a plate
- Then take the remaining oil to another pan and add the onions, garlic, chili and fennel-then cook until the onion has softened.
- Add the thyme, tomatoes, cup of cold water to the onion and boil for around 10min. Simmer and stir it occasionally
- Add the sausage and beans to the tomatoes mix and let it simmer for about 5 minutes
- Stir In half the parsley and take it off heat. Sprinkle the remaining parsley and serve with mashed potatoes
Preparation Time: 45min
Nutrition: calorie-740Kcal, carbohydrates-12g, protein-31g, fat-42g, Cholesterol-85mg
VEGETABLE KATHI ROLL
This is another easy to make dinner recipe that is made with tortilla rolls or chapatti rolls and vegetables
- 4 whole wheat chapatis or tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup tofu
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Mint and cilantro paste
- Chaat masala
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ¼ tsp garam masala
How To Prepare The Meal
- Take a pan and heat oil and add chopped tomatoes. Saute for 1 min and then add the ginger-garlic paste. Salute for 2 to 3 min then add tomato puree and cook at high heat for 1 min while you stir.
- Add capsicum, tofu, salt, garam masala, chili powder and mix well and cook until it is done
- Take a flat pan and place the tortilla. Mix the yoghurt with the mint and cilantro paste and spread it evenly on the tortilla
- Place a spoonful of the vegetable mix on the tortilla.Garnish with onion rings and cilantro and roll the tortilla
- Serve with Tomato Sauce or you can serve with mayonnaise dip
WHAT TO DO?
Make a decision to start eating healthy and enjoy delicious meals if you follow simple ways on this website Start getting ingredients so you can make a healthy diet for your children. Start ordering your ingredients will not only save your money but will give your children delicious and satisfying food that will keep them longer.
If you have linked this page why not leave a comment below and it will be appreciated.